Sunday, August 8, 2010

Someone you'll definitely be hearing more about

One of the main reasons I prefer reading crime fiction (and other forms of genre fiction) instead of literary fiction is for suspense. There's really nothing like hanging on an author's every word, patiently waiting to find out what happens next. When it's executed well, it's an unparalleled pleasure.

And Brian Byrne's short story up at Thrillers, Killers 'n Chillers, titled Heads or Tails, had me hooked from the first word to the last line. It's a tightly knit piece about a bank robbery gone wrong--one where the criminals are struggling with the decision to surrender to law enforcement or kill themselves. The protagonist's deep history is deftly woven into the narrative and proves essential to the story.

I won't say much more cause I don't want to give away the ending. Which is a freakin doozie.

Byrne is only 21 years old--a fact I found shocking. I'm sure you'll be hearing more about him, as he clearly has a natural gift for writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment